The Office of American Spaces has developed a series of Movie Programming Kits tailored for American Spaces. These are provided below in an easily printable format. If you would like an editable version of any or all of the kits, have questions about them or would like to suggest ideas for additional topics, please post your request, question or thoughts in the American Spaces Facebook Group, or email the Office of American Spaces at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Movie Kits contain discussion questions and vocabulary lists. The movies must be purchased separately. American Spaces have the rights to show all the films in the provided movie kits under the Department of State’s agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation. For other films, you must check the MPLC guidance to see if we have rights to show a film. Please consult the license agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation to screen the suggested films.
The Education and Cultural Affairs Bureau’s Cultural Programs Division also has compiled a list of film titles (xlsx 769 kb) covered by the MPLC agreement and organized into various categories, genres, and themes. This list is for internal use only and is not for public distribution.
The Office of American Spaces provides a number of resources (PDF 81 kb) for using films in programming. These include movie kits, a streaming service and more.
Economic Prosperity and Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneur’s Guide on Launching a Business (PDF 502 kb)
- Joy (PDF 89 kb)
- Pursuit of Happyness (PDF 122 kb)
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (Netflix film, Word 389 kb)
- The Social Network (PDF 269 kb) – may be used for Intellectual Property Rights programming
Environment and Health
Human Rights and Diversity in America
- Coming out (Kanopy film, PDF 274 kb)
- Freeheld (PDF 325 kb)
- Green Book (PDF 450.4 kb)
- Hidden Figures (PDF 334 kb)
- I am a Girl (PDF 914 kb)
- In God We Trust (Kanopy film, PDF 368 kb)
- Including Samuel (Kanopy Film, PDF 590 kb)
- Just Wrong: The Aftermath of Wrongful Convictions, From Crime Victims to Exonerees (PDF 101 kb)
- No Limits (PDF 790 kb)
- Norma Rae (PDF 291 kb)
- Not My Life (Kanopy film, PDF 546 kb)
- Our Fires Still Burn (Kanopy film, PDF 313 kb)
- Philadelphia (PDF 86 kb)
- Race (PDF 361 kb) – may also be used for Olympics/Sports Diplomacy programming
- Reel Injun (PDF 715 kb)
- Selma (PDF 264 kb)
- Smoke Signals (PDF 90 kb)
- Songs of the Homeland (Kanopy film, PDF 959 kb)
- The Last One (PDF 428 kb)
- Wonder (PDF 456 kb)