The Office of American Spaces has developed a series of Movie Programming Kits tailored for American Spaces. These are provided below in an easily printable format. If you would like an editable version of any or all of the kits, have questions about them or would like to suggest ideas for additional topics, please post your request, question or thoughts in the American Spaces Facebook Group, or email the Office of American Spaces at email@example.com.
Movie Kits contain discussion questions and vocabulary lists. The movies must be purchased separately, unless they are in Kanopy, which are available through eLibraryUSA. American Spaces have the rights to show all the films in the provided movie kits under the Department of State’s agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation. For other films, you must check the MPLC guidance to see if we have rights to show a film. Please consult the license agreement with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation to screen the suggested films.
The Education and Cultural Affairs Bureau’s Cultural Programs Division also has compiled a list of film titles (xlsx 769 kb) covered by the MPLC agreement and organized into various categories, genres, and themes. This list is for internal use only and is not for public distribution.
The Office of American Spaces provides a number of resources (PDF 81 kb) for using films in programming. These include movie kits, a streaming service and more.
Films that can be streamed and screened through Kanopy
Kanopy is a video library which is accessible through eLibraryUSA. The films available in Kanopy can be screened at American Spaces. Below are discussion guides of just some of the films available in Kanopy.
- Economic Prosperity and Entrepreneurship
- Environment and Health
- Human Rights and Diversity in America
- Science, Technology, and Innovation
- Women’s Empowerment / Gender-based Violence
- American Culture
Economic Prosperity and Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneur’s Guide on Launching a Business (Kanopy – PDF 502 kb)
- Joy (PDF 89 kb)
- Pursuit of Happyness (PDF 122 kb)
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (Netflix film, Word 389 kb)
- The Social Network (PDF 269 kb) – may be used for Intellectual Property Rights programming
Environment and Health
Human Rights and Diversity in America
- Coming out (Kanopy, PDF 274 kb)
- Freeheld (PDF 325 kb)
- Green Book (PDF 450.4 kb)
- Including Samuel (Kanopy, PDF 590 kb)
- Just Wrong: The Aftermath of Wrongful Convictions, From Crime Victims to Exonerees (PDF 101 kb)
- No Limits (PDF 790 kb)
- Norma Rae (PDF 291 kb)
- Not My Life (Kanopy, PDF 546 kb)
- Our Fires Still Burn (Kanopy, PDF 313 kb)
- Philadelphia (PDF 86 kb)
- Race (PDF 361 kb) – may also be used for Olympics/Sports Diplomacy programming
- Selma (PDF 264 kb)
- Smoke Signals (PDF 90 kb)
- Songs of the Homeland (Kanopy, PDF 959 kb)
- The Last One (PDF 428 kb)
- Wonder (PDF 456 kb)