GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK
RESOURCE TOOLKIT FOR AMERICAN SPACES
This toolkit provides resources for programming during Global Entrepreneurship Week held each year in November. The information and resources in this kit come from Global Entrepreneurship Network’s website.
What is Entrepreneurship?
Entrepreneurship is the activity of setting up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit.
WHAT IS GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK?
The annual Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) will be held in the middle of November in more than 200 countries with more than 40,000 events. The goal is to make it easier for anyone seeking to start and maintain a business. The Global Entrepreneurship Network (GEN) is supported by the United States Department of State along with other partners who are working together to support, connect and educate entrepreneurs across the world. American Spaces can play an important role to support GEW by promoting entrepreneurship among their communities by connecting with local entrepreneurs. Go to the GEW’s page to learn more.
The Global Startup Ecosystem Index Report 2022 is a comprehensive report that evaluates the business climate in more than 250 locations as it relates to business startups.
The Small Business Administration’s Office of Entrepreneurship offers numerous tools to support business development.
AllTopsStartup is a website dedicated to sharing resources with entrepreneurs and startups.
FORBES Magazine entrepreneur’s section.
VIDEOS AND PODCASTS
How I Built This is a National Public Radio podcast about innovators and entrepreneurs.
StartUp is a podcast that explores the realities of starting a business.
Steve Jobs 2005 Commencement Address at Stanford University discusses the importance of not losing faith in yourself despite setbacks.
TED Talk: The Elevator is out of order – discusses how to get the most out of your elevator speech.
HOW CAN MY AMERICAN SPACE BE PART OF GEW?
Advertise GEW events near you
- Go to these events to find activities near your space.
- Promote these events on your social media accounts and at your space.
Host a GEW event at your Space
- GEW’s website will show you how to create an event and attract participants.
- Connect with local GEN speakers to participate in your event, also consider asking USG alumni to speak.
- Dream builder is a great online source for those who want to start a business
- Host a movie viewing party – for more ideas go here.
- Run English for Entrepreneurs from American English.
- Run a related online course from the Young Leaders of America Institute.
- What does entrepreneurship mean to you in your community?
- Do you think this is different or similar to entrepreneurship in the U.S.?
The views expressed in these links and resources do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. government.
Updated April 2023