EMPOWERING WOMEN LEADERS
DISCUSSION GUIDE FOR A WEBINAR FROM THE OFFICE OF THE U.S. SPEAKER PROGRAM
This Discussion Guide is designed for virtual programming at American Spaces to learn about how the U.S. election system and how more women can become involved in the political process.
ACCESS TO VIDEO
Duration: 80 minutes
Speaker: Cathy Allen
- Once downloaded, you can capture the video feed with a streaming tool or upload it to your social media account for a watch party. If bandwidth is low, have viewers watch the webinar before hosting a discussion.
- Consider inviting a local expert or U.S. official to facilitate discussion during and after the webinar.
- Preview the video beforehand to determine which parts you will show.
- For more tips go here.
ABOUT THE WEBINAR
In this webinar, Cathy Allen discusses how the U.S. political system has evolved for women and what challenges they have faced. She also provides tips and advice for women seeking to enter political life.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Cathy Allen has helped recruit, train, and get women elected to office in 49 countries around the world. She has been a consultant for the U.S. Department of State and the National Democratic Institute. Now as the president of Seattle-based The Connection Group Inc, Ms. Allen is a frequent commentator on the American Television Networks, PBS, CNN, and NBC.
Share America Stories
Share America Stories
- Campaign – In the months leading up to the election, candidates participate in numerous events – speeches, debates, and engaging with the public – to attempt to win over more voters.
- Issues – Important topics or problems that candidates highlight to express their positions.
- Empathetic – Ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
- Gender Gap – The difference in access to opportunities, status, and attitudes between men and women.
More Women Leaders Needed
While more women continue to enter government and politics, the UN reports there is still gender inequality and a need for improvement globally. See UN Women in Politics 2021.
Preview the video beforehand to determine which parts of the webinar you will show. Also, consider stopping the webinar periodically to engage your audience with the below questions as appropriate.
- Of the two campaign videos with Senator Susan Collin and her challenger Sara Gideon, which did you think was more effective and why?
- Today more women are winning political offices. Why do you think this is happening now?
- What were some of the barriers women have faced when seeking political office, and what barriers remain?
- What issues face your community that politics could help resolve? Would you like to become a politician? Why or why not?
The views expressed in these links and resources do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. government.
Updated April 2023