Check here often for discussion content from sources such as U.S. government-sponsored webinars, Ted Talks, Public Broadcasting, Voice of America, and ECA’s 22.33 Podcast.
Here are discussion guides on U.S. government-sponsored webinar complete with links to download the videos to conduct watch parties or virtual programs around the videos.
- Empowering Women Leaders (PDF 1 MB)
- Women’s Entrepreneurship (PDF 906 KB)
- Credible Newsmaking (PDF 1.1 MB)
- EducationUSA: Financing your U.S. Studies (PDF 1.5 MB)
- EducationUSA: Supporting Students with Disabilities (PDF 1.3 MB)
Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular in the United States. A podcast is an audio recording on just about any topic that can be downloaded on most devices and listened to at anytime. Podcasts are relatively easy to create and are a tool for American Spaces to promote media literacy, journalistic skills, and press freedom.
The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) has published this guide on how to create your own podcasts. This is a great resource for journalism and podcasting clubs.
ECA has also created the 22.33 podcast on exchange stories. Below are discussion guides for some of these podcasts.
- Season 1, Episode 8: Call Me Teacher – This discussion guide (PDF 1 MB) pulls out the theme of stereotyping across cultures.
- Season 1, Episode 64: Spaceship Earth: The Ultimate Exchange (with Cady Coleman) – This discussion guide (PDF 662) focuses on how our perceptions influence how we see others and ourselves.
- Connecting through Isolation – The “Connecting Through Isolation” 22.33 podcast series launched due to the COVID-19 global pandemic when many were forced to stay at home. These episodes are a compilation of people from all over the world submitting audio recordings of their experiences.
- Part 1 (PDF 421 KB) – Messages from three continents and original songs
- Part 2 (PDF 371 KB) – Letting go of expectations, and how this crisis has intensified misinformation and xenophobia
- Part 3 (PDF 502 KB) – Balancing the joys of springtime with the realities of social isolation.
- Part 6 (PDF 957 KB) – A backyard musician and a quarantine reading list
- Part 8 (PDF 501 KB) – Musical inspiration from all over the world and original songs by Giselle Felice & Erik Abernathy, Wordsmith, Seth Glier, Stela Botan, Tony Memmel, Just Wade Tam, and more. Turn this one up loud!
- Part 9 (PDF 711 KB) – Gratitude for those in our lives and those keeping us safe
TED is a nonpartisan nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. TED began in 1984 as a conference where technology, entertainment, and design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages.
- Equity - What is it, and Why our Children Deserve it?
PDF (1.2 MB)
Speaker: Rodney Robinson
Length: 17 min
Themes: Diversity, Equity, Equality, and Education
- The Untapped Genius that could Change Science for the Better
PDF (1.7 MB)
Speaker: Jedidah Isler
Length: 13 min
Themes: Diversity, STEM, Science, Women’s Empowerment
- Three Steps to Turn Meetings into Transformative Gatherings
PDF (1.6 MB)
Speaker: Priya Parker
Length: 10 min
Themes: Virtual Programming, Meetings, Conflict Resolution, Communication
- Fight for Disability Rights
PDF (1.4 MB)
Speaker: Judith Heumann
Length: 17 min
Theme: Civil rights, American with Disabilities Act, discrimination, and opportunity
- Overcoming Bias
PDF (987 kb)
Speaker: Verna Meyers
Length: 18 min
Theme: Racism, unconscious bias, and inclusion
- TED Talk: Why Domestic Violence Victims Don’t Leave
Microsoft Word (623 kb)
Length: 15 min. 53 sec.
Theme: Gender-Based Violence; Women’s Empowerment
- PBS Story: How Media Literacy Can Help Students Discern Fake News
PDF (330 kb)
Length: 7 min., 31 sec.
Theme: Media Literacy
- TED Talk: A Taboo-Free Way to Talk about Periods
Microsoft Word (1.2 mb)
Length: 11 min. 11 sec.
Theme: Girls’ and Women’s Education and Empowerment; Menstrual Education
- Highlights from State Interactive Program: Athletes Without Limits
PDF (556 kb)
Theme: Disabilities Inclusion, Sports Diplomacy, Women’s Empowerment
- TED Talk: Ancient Wonders Captured in 3D
(PDF 371 kb)
Speaker: Ben Kacyra
Length: 12:20 min.
Theme: Cultural Preservation, Science & Technology
- TED Talk: The Unexpected Challenge of a Country's First Election
(PDF 1 MB)
Speaker: Philippa Neave
Length: 11 min.
Theme: Election Principles, Democratic Values
- TED Talk: Why Ordinary People Need to Understand Power
(PDF 1 MB)
Speaker: Eric Liu
Length: 17:15 min.
Theme: Civic Engagement, Democratic Values
(PDF 597 KB)
TED Talk: What Really Motivates People to be Honest in Business?
ShareAmerica Video: Company Gets Unfair Access – What’s the Harm?
- How We Can End Sexual Harassment at Work
Speaker: Gretchen Carlson
Themes: Sexual harassment, gender-based violence, and workplace quality
Duration: 15 min