NOTES FOR NOTES: MUSIC EDUCATION FOR POSITIVE EMOTIONAL AND CREATIVE GROWTH
DISCUSSION GUIDE FOR AMERICAN SPACES
This discussion guide is designed for programming at American Spaces. American Spaces should work with their Public Affairs Section to ensure that this topic and video are appropriate for American Spaces audiences.
Year Release: 2020
Duration: 6 min
English Level: High Beginner/Low Intermediate
Speakers: 116Tae and Zuzu
Themes: Education, Mental Health, Music, Creative Expression
Link to Video (also above)
Notes for Notes (N4N) is a non-profit organization founded in Santa Barbara, California to provide youth with hands-on music education for positive emotional and creative growth. N4N now serves over 8,500 youth through 23 studios in 11 states across the U.S. N4N studios are located in youth facilities such as the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. N4N Studios are gateways of creative expression through music.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
116Tae is a singer-songwriter rapper producer and studio assistant at N4N Studio South in Nashville, Tennessee. He has been making music since he was 13 years old.
Zuzu is a 15-year old singer/songwriter from Nashville, Tennessee. She has been writing music since the age of 9 and is now a member of N4N Nashville.
- Guitar: (noun) a musical instrument that is held against the front of your body and that has usually six strings which are played with your fingers or with a pick
- Bass: (noun) a kind of guitar or musical instrument that usually has four strings and that makes low sounds
- Keyboard: (noun) a row or set of keys that are pushed to play a musical instrument (such as a piano)
- Drumstick: (noun) a stick used for playing a drum
- Musician: (noun) a person who writes, sings, or plays music
- Artist: (noun) a person who creates art that expresses ideas or feelings
- Song: (noun) a short piece of music with words that are sung
- Chorus: (noun) a part of a song that is repeated between verses
- Recoding studio: (noun) a place where people go to learn, practice, study, and record music with provided equipment
- Producer: (noun) someone who is in charge of making and usually providing the money for a play, movie, record, etc.
- Collaborate: (noun) to work with another person or group in order to achieve or do something
- Emotions: (adjective) a strong feeling (such as love, anger, joy, hate, or fear)
- Suicide: (noun) the act of killing yourself because you do not want to continue living
- Mental health: (noun) condition of a person’s psychological and emotional well-being
- Are you interested in making music? What is your musical style? What kind of songs would you write if you could record in a professional studio?
- Who are your favorite musical artists? What kind of music do they make and what topics do they discuss? Why do you like their music?
- Notes for Notes is a space for young people to learn new skills and grow as individuals. Are there similar spaces in your community?
- 16Tae’s song “Love You” was dedicated to a friend who committed suicide. How is mental health viewed in your country and what resources are available?
- Zuzu Black talks about music as a way to express emotions and explore self-identity. In what ways do you find ways to express yourself? How has creativity helped you find out who you are?
The views expressed in these links and resources do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. government.
Updated April 2023